Coronavirus resources

As the coronavirus situation continues to evolve, you might have questions about COVID-19 or how it affects people with disabilities. Here’s a collection of helpful resources. External links are not managed by the Hub, so accessibility cannot be guaranteed.

  • Children and families - COVID-19 and children
  • Community - Disability-specific information, Federal and state guidance, Transportation
  • Health - COVID-19, Health care, MA-EPD, Mental and physical health, Personal care assistant, Prescriptions, Waivers
  • Home - Food, Housing, Utilities
  • Money - Benefits, Student loans, Taxes
  • Work - Unemployment


Children and families


How can I help my child during distance learning?

How do I support my child during COVID-19?

How do I limit COVID-19 exposure for my child?

What if I become sick or am unable to be with my child?




People with disabilities have a right to information that explains COVID-19 and identifies the gravity of the COVID-19 pandemic in order to make informed choices about how and where to spend their days and access the community as allowed under emergency orders. See the Person-Centered, Informed Choice and Transition protocol web page for more information. For the latest COVID-19 information from the state of Minnesota, see the #StaySafeMN Frequently Asked Questions webpage.

If you have experienced or witnessed an incident of discrimination or bias, call Minnesota's Discrimination Helpline at 1-833-454-0148 or submit this online form. The helpline is staffed by investigators from the Minnesota Department of Human Rights. Translation/interpretation services are available.

What should I expect right now?

Things can change quickly and be different from day to day. Here are some things that you can expect to be a little different for a while:

  • Your case manager or staff members might call or video chat with you instead of making in-person visits.
  • Your employer might require you to stay home from work.
  • If you live in a foster care or customized living setting, there might be more people in the space than usual. 
  • Someone else might need to provide services to you (family, friends, new staff).
  • Hours and capacity at day service programs (which reopened on 7/13/20) might be different.
  • Activities that you had planned could be canceled or rescheduled.
  • Visitors might not be allowed.
  • Staff members might wear masks, gloves or other things to protect themselves and you.









What should I do if I think I have COVID-19?

Follow the Minnesota Department of Health and Center for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines.

If you have symptoms and can manage those symptoms at home, you don't have to seek health care or be tested for COVID-19.

  • Stay home while you are sick. This prevents you from accidentally spreading COVID-19 to others who may be at higher risk of serious complications.
  • If you are older or have underlying medical conditions, it may be helpful to let your health care provider know you are sick. They may have some specific advice for you.
  • Seek medical care right away if your illness is worsening (for example, if you have difficulty breathing). Before going to the doctor’s office or emergency room, call ahead and tell them your symptoms. They will tell you what to do.

CDC's Coronavirus Self-Checker found at Symptoms & Testing can help you make decisions about seeking medical care. This tool is not intended for the diagnosis or treatment of disease or other conditions, including COVID-19.



Can I apply for health care if I am laid off and can't access my employer's health benefits?

The MNsure special enrollment period ended on April 21. You may still have options for enrolling in coverage or help toward paying for your current plan:

  • Life events like losing health insurance from your employer can make you eligible. Information is available with MNSure.
  • If you currently have insurance through MNsure and your income has gone down, you need to report it. You may become eligible for an advanced premium tax credit and cost-sharing reductions.
  • Year-round enrollment is available to anyone who qualifies for Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare or is a member of a federally recognized American Indian tribe.

Are Early Intensive Developmental and Behavioral Intervention (EIDBI) providers able to provide telemedicine visits right now? 

Yes, and there is no longer a limit on how many telemedicine visits are allowed per week.

Are EIDBI providers able to deliver coordinated care conferences via telemedicine?

Yes, starting April 30.

Can the individual treatment plan (ITP) for the EIDBI service extend service authorizations right now without being updated?

Yes, starting March 13.

Where can I find information about my Medicare coverage?

Information about Medicare and any changes associated with coronavirus is located here. Medicare and coronavirus |



How do I stay physically and mentally healthy?

Try outdoor activities such as walking, hiking, running, biking, hunting or fishing. Go driving for pleasure. Visit public parks or other public recreation areas. With all of these activities, stay at least six feet away from people from other households.

You can also use free options to stay connected to others using technology: 

  • Zoom – First 40 minutes of a call is free.
  • Google Hangouts – Free up to 10 participants, need a Gmail account.
  • Skype – Free up to 50 participants, unlimited amount of time.

Are there other virtual support groups available?

Facebook has many support groups. To find a group that might be right for you, search the groups section using words like "AA" or "mental health."



Is my PCA still going to get paid? Can my PCA work more hours than usual?

Yes, your PCA should be paid for the hours they work to support you. You and your PCA should discuss your available hours with your PCA agency to determine options for coverage.

Does my PCA have to be affiliated with a provider in order to help me and get paid?

If you are on Medical Assistance and you have an approved service agreement and service plan through your lead agency, yes, your PCA needs to be affiliated with a provider to get paid.



Can I get more than 30 days of my prescription, so I don't need to go out to get refills?

Yes, if you are on Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare. Contact your health plan if you aren’t on Medical Assistance.



What if I can't access my waiver services because of social distancing? Will my waiver close?

No, your waiver will not close and you should discuss your service options with your case manager to determine if you can receive other supports and services during COVID-19 pandemic.

Are licensed adult day service providers able to provide services for waiver recipients in alternative ways?

Yes, starting May 4, people can receive the service through remote support (real-time, two-way communication) temporarily for several waiver services. Remote support may be delivered through phone or another interactive technology like a computer or tablet.




Where can I find help with additional food support right now?

There are resources at COVID-19 emergency food support, Minnesota Department of Human Services

Do grocery stores have special shopping hours for people who have underlying medical conditions?

Yes, most grocery stores have special shopping hours for people who have underlying medical conditions.  Please check with your preferred store for their updated schedule.



Can I be evicted if I can't pay my rent due to COVID-19?

No, not during the COVID-19 pandemic. Check here for more information.



Can my electricity or gas be turned off if I can't pay because I was laid off due to COVID-19?

Most utility providers have suspended all utility disconnects. Check with your utility provider for assistance.





What if I missed the registration deadline for the $500 per child Economic Impact Payment?

If you receive federal benefits (such as Social Security or SSI) but didn't get the $500 per child payments earlier this year, you can register now through September 30. Get details from the IRS.

Will my benefits end if I am unable to do my renewal due to COVID-19?

No, in addition, you will not receive renewal paperwork in the coming month, as it won’t be sent out. See the Waiver and Modification page on the DHS website for more details.

Can I apply for benefits due to COVID-19?

Yes, you can submit an application for benefits at any time. Benefit information is available through the Minnesota Department of Human Services

How can I see what help is available, given the COVID-19 emergency?

Follow the Minnesota Department of Human Services and sign up for email alerts.

How can I stay updated about what SSA is doing during the COVID-19 pandemic?

Visit the Social Security Administration for updates. You may select "Subscribe" to receive alerts.









Can I apply for unemployment due to COVID-19 while on SSI/SSDI?

Unemployment insurance benefits are available to people who are unemployed through no fault of their own. All workers affected by COVID-19 are encouraged to apply for unemployment insurance benefits. The unemployment insurance program will review your application and determine your eligibility for benefits.

You can apply for unemployment insurance online The system will only allow you to apply on certain days of the week based on the last digit of your Social Security number. The chart below shows what day you are able to apply.

Last digit of your Social Security Number

The day of the week you are able to apply








Thursday and Friday

If you need help completing the application or resetting your password, call 651-296-3644 or 1-877-898-9080 (TTY: 1-866-814-1252) Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm.


Chat with a Hub expert

Mon-Fri: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Call the Hub

Mon-Fri: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Email the Hub

Emails answered Monday to Friday