The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is a federal law that supports special education and related programming for youth with disabilities. The law ensures that youth with disabilities are granted a free appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment.
- Ensures that all youth with disabilities receive special education and related services to address their individual needs
- Prepares youth with disabilities for employment and independent living
- Protects the rights of children with disabilities and their families
- Assesses the efforts of institutions providing services to children with disabilities
- Helps states, localities and agencies provide for the education of children with disabilities
IDEA overview | U.S. Department of Education
IDEA | Center for Parent Education and Resources