Debt and credit
If you owe money, you're not alone. Most people have some amount of debt at one point or another — but your debt doesn't need to weigh you down. You can get a handle on your debt and build strong credit at the same time.
To get started, you might ask:
- Can I pay more than the minimum payment on my debts each month? If you make only the minimum payment, it could take months — or years — to pay off your debt. Paying even just a little more each month will speed it up.
- How can I improve my credit score? Paying your bills on time is one of the best ways to improve your credit score. It's also important to pay off your credit card debt and to make sure any mistakes in your credit report are fixed.
- Can my debt be lowered or eliminated? You may be able to lower your debt through debt settlement or forgiveness programs. For example, if you work for a government or nonprofit organization, you might be able to participate in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
How to conquer your debt | Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota
How the Hub can help
The Hub team can help you:
- Connect to debt management programs and services
- Understand how to build credit
- Connect to credit counseling resources