PCA services topics:

Common questions

A personal care assistant (PCA) helps with daily living tasks, such as eating, bathing, using the bathroom and getting dressed. Here, see common questions about PCA services.

You can hire your own PCAs if you're using PCA Choice or you're eligible for a waiver and are using consumer-directed community supports (CDCS). To find PCAs, create an account at Direct Support Connect.

No, a spouse cannot be paid to provide PCA services.

Parents, stepparents or paid legal guardians cannot be a child's PCA.

Visit the Minnesota Department of Human Services to learn more about PCA services for children.

To become a PCA, you must complete a PCA training course and pass a one-time online test offered by the Minnesota Department of Human Services. When you pass the test, you'll receive a PCA certificate (which you should keep as proof of passing the PCA test). Get the details on PCA training. If you're interested in additional training, you can take online classes through the College of Direct Support.

When you're ready to look for PCA work, go to Direct Support Connect. Here, you'll find people who are looking for PCAs. If the person is associated with a provider agency, you may need to enroll with the agency. You can also apply directly to provider agencies. Check MinnesotaHelp to find PCA provider agencies.

You'll need to pass a background check before you can be paid to provide PCA services. If you enroll with a provider agency, the agency may require additional training.