Skip to content

Medical Assistance topics:


If you work, you might qualify for Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities, or MA-EPD.

MA-EPD is a work incentive health care program that provides Medical Assistance, or MA, coverage to employed people with certified disabilities. With MA-EPD, you get the same services as standard MA — but you can have a higher income without losing your coverage.

See common questions about MA-EPD below. Learn more about MA-EPD from Disability Benefits 101, or try the MA-EPD premium estimator to see what you might pay.

If you're enrolled in MA-EPD, you must report any change to your earnings to your worker within 10 days of the change. You can earn any amount of money and keep MA-EPD. Your premium may go up if you earn more — but in many cases the more money you earn, the better off financially you'll be!

Disability Benefits 101

Get the basics on MA-EPD »

Often, people find that MA-EPD is an affordable option. Sometimes, though, it may be cheaper to get health coverage other ways. Options might include:

  • Insurance through your employer. For details, contact your employer's human resources department.
  • An Advantage Plan or Supplemental Plan, if you're on Medicare. For details, check out Medicare: How to sign up from Disability Benefits 101 or contact the Senior Linkage Line at 1-800-333-2433.
  • An individual plan through MNsure. Get the basics on buying health coverage on MNsure from Disability Benefits 101.

Not necessarily. If you lose your job or make less money, report the change to your local county or tribal agency. There are options for you to keep your coverage while you look for another job or figure out how to make more money.

You can also submit an application for MA-EPD Good Cause if an event out of your control affects your ability to pay your MA-EPD premium.

When you turn 65:

  • Look for paperwork from the county or local human services agency, and  follow any instructions you're given
  • Apply for Medicare if you're eligible (even though you're enrolled in MA-EPD)

You can get MA-EPD after you turn 65 as long as you were certified disabled by either the Social Security Administration (SSA) or the State Medical Review Team (SMRT) before you turned 65 and you meet all the other eligibility requirements.

If you stop working after you turn 65, your eligibility for Medical Assistance will be redetermined. If you were enrolled in MA-EPD for the 24 months before you turned 65, and are redetermined eligible under another MA for People Who are Blind or Have a Disability (MA-ABD), you will have no asset limit for up to 12 consecutive months. After 12 consecutive months, there will be a $20,000 asset limit.

« Previous: Medical Assistance | Next: Special Needs BasicCare »