Skip to content

Medical Assistance topics:

Medical Assistance

If you have a disability, you might qualify for Medical Assistance, or MA, based on your income or your disability.

MA is Minnesota's Medicaid program for people with low income. MA serves children and families, pregnant women, adults without children, seniors, and people who are blind or have a disability. See common questions about MA below.

If you have a question that isn't answered here, learn more about your health coverage options under Your Options.

Download this handy checklist and tip sheet, (PDF) which spells out what you need when applying for health coverage. Print or save it for when you're ready to apply. Download this tracking sheet (PDF) to monitor your application status.

The Hub can help you connect with a lead agency or provider. Contact us to get started.

A spenddown is a cost-sharing approach that allows you to reduce your excess income by the amount of certain health care expenses. If your income is more than the allowed income limit, you may still qualify for health care coverage by meeting a spenddown.

A spenddown is similar to a health care deductible. You must pay (or incur) a certain amount of money toward your medical bills before MA will begin to cover medical expenses.

If you have a disability and earn money from work, Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities (MA-EPD) may be able to help you save money. See real-life examples of how to get ahead with MA-EPD (PDF).

There could be many reasons why MA would close. Consider these common reasons:

  • Your requested paperwork or information wasn't submitted on time (You should have received a letter in the mail explaining what was needed and by when.)
  • Your health care renewal was due, but it wasn't received on time or not received at all
  • You didn't report changes to your income, address or other household changes (If the local county or tribal agency doesn't have your address, you probably didn't receive the letter about needed paperwork or your renewal.)

To find out for sure, you might need to contact your eligibility worker at your local county or tribal agency. Or, contact the Hub and we'll help you figure out what's going on.

Next: MA-EPD »