Knowing your family member's rights is important for making informed decisions.
Americans with Disabilities Act
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in areas such as employment, transportation, public accommodations, communications, and access to state and local government programs and services.
- Decision making takes on new importance during adulthood. Get the facts on decision making options — independent decision making, supported decision making and substitute decision making (or guardianship) — in the independence section under Your Options.
- Use this worksheet to identify alternatives to guardianship (PDF).
- Explore decision making supports from Charting the LifeCourse. These materials are designed to help you explore areas where decision making support might be needed and plan for what it looks like and how it can happen.
- Review this comprehensive guide on how to make a supported decision making agreement (PDF).